The Guerrilla Season Book Blog

Join 8th grade American History students at South Valley Jr High in Liberty, Missouri as they read Guerrilla Season by Pat Hughes. For more information contact Eric Langhorst at speakingofhistory@gmail.com

Monday, November 20, 2006

An Interview With Matt

Here is an interview with Matt sent in by Annelies. Great job, well done!

Matt Howard Q- How does it feel to have your dad dead and your brother crippled, and therefore be the head of the house at age 15?

A- Well it does get hard sometimes- with all the hunting and harvesting to keep my family alive. But I have to set a good example for the little ones.

Q- Is it hard to live during a time period that you could get shot at any moment for saying the wrong thing?

A- It can get very hard especially since Jesse is on the South's side and my family is in the middle not really having a side. Sometimes I have to watch it because I could be putting my family in danger.

Q- How exactly does being friends with Jesse, who is on the South's side and being like a son to Mr. Stone, who is on the North's side affect not only yourself but also your family?

A- Well it can get hard because Jesse's family dislikes Mr. Stone and also always having Mr. Stone nagging me about hanging out with Jesse but I don't think I could stop seeing Jesse we have known each other for too long.

Q- Is it nerve racking to know that your first crop could be destroyed by either side at any time?

A- Well I know that it could be destroyed and I try to keep the best thoughts and if it gets destroyed I will replant after we get back from grandfathers house.

Q- Speaking of your grandfather what actions do you plan to take, will you go with your family or not?

A- I will go with my family because they need me especially Ben, then after the war I will come back here with or without my family and rebuild the barn and start a new harvest.

by Annelies

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelies -

Nice interrview!

- Pat

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home